2 cans whole, peeled tomatoes in juice
1 onion, chopped
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch of fresh basil, cut into strips
1-2 Tbsp sugar
Salt to taste
Saute onions in olive over low-medium heat until tender. Add garlic and continue to saute with the onions for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, plus juice from one can. Add salt and sugar. Let simmer 20 minutes. Break up tomatoes with potato masher. Add strips of Basil.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cups finely ground ginger cookies, homemade or store bought
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 8oz.pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature.
Making the Crust
- Mix crust ingredients together. Press into the bottom of your spring-form pan. Tip: A heavy glass with a flat bottom or similar helps.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 350. Set aside.
Making the Filling
- Combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in large bowl, mix until smooth with an electric mixer.
- Add pumpkin, eggs, and spices, to the cream cheese mixture and beat until smooth and creamy.
This is the most tricky step. It is very easy to overcook a cheesecake. You can tell that your cheesecake is done baking when the sides have set up but the center is still wobbly and wet in appearance. Overcooking will cause ugly cracking and may affect the texture of your cheesecake.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into pan and bake at 350°.
- 50-60 minutes for a 8″ spring-form pan.
- 30-40 minutes for a 9″ spring-form pan.
- After about half way through keep a close eye to make sure you don’t overcook.
- Set cheesecake on wire rack and let cool completely (at least 2 hours).
- Cover and chill overnight.
Whipped Cream Topping
- Beat cream until soft peaks start to form.
- Add sugar, extract, and spices.
- Continue beating until desired consistency is reached. Do not overbeat.
- Slice it up, add a whipped cream dollop to each slice, and watch your thighs grow in real time!